Knitted flat from the top down, this Aran Cardigan features deeply sculptured cables, saddle shoulders, and square armholes. The cabled buttonhole-band includes lovely buttonholes. The neckband, cuffs, and bottom skirt feature snake cables as well. Most wrong side rows are worked by knitting the knits and purling the purls. All the motifs in this design are two-stitches-wide cables.
Finished Sizes: Extra Small-XS (Small-S, Medium-M, Large-L, Extra Large-XL)
20 sts/ 26 rows = 4 inches/ 10 cm over Chart G patt with larger needle.
24-st Chart D Cable = 3.5 inches/ 9 cm wide with larger needle.
24 sts/ 26 rows = 3.5 inches/ 9 cm over Chart I, P2 Rib with larger needle.
- Light Aran-weight or worsted-weight wool yarn (133 yards/100g): 1540 (1760, 2200, 2420, 2860) yards
- 3.75 mm (US 5) 24-inch/60 cm circular needle for cuffs, neckband and buttonbands
- 4.5 mm (US 7) double-pointed and 24-inch/60 cm or 32-inch/80 cm circular needles, or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch holders or waste yarn, stitch markers, sticky notes or magnet board to keep your place on the chart, tapestry needle
- 6 (6, 6, 7, 7) buttons, 5/8 inch /1.5cm diameter optional