Time: 6 hours
Level: Advanced Beginner (must be proficient with dp needles)
Students will learn construction of the very special, but quick and easy, Lovikka mitten by knitting one circularly on double pointed needles. Techniques to be covered include the inside out cuff, a thumb without a gusset, fulling the mitten and brushing the nap, and different embroidery patterns for the cuff.
(for one mitten)
- 1 skein heavy (and hairy) worsted weight wool yarn and scraps of other colors.
- One set of US size 10.5 or 11 (7mm to 8mm) double pointed needles (8″ long or shorter)
- Tapestry needle, scissors, and st markers
- A towel and/or plastic bag, a small dishpan, wool wash (Eucalan, etc.)
- A swatch knitted with two strands of yarn in Stockinette stitch about 4” x 4”. Although gauge doesn’t need to be precise, try to approximate 4 to 3.5 sts/inch. We will use this to practice the embroidery patterns.